Grain-free Sloppy Joes
This is so good. You can always get creative with adding different/more vegetables. Most anything would be delicious in it. You really don't miss the bun. And we cut the sugar out, too.
This dinner is fast, easy and perfect for left-overs. It’s a great way to get in a bunch of vegetables along with protein. Meat quality is key — we use grass-fed ground beef. You could easily do this with any ground meat.
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 tbs tapioca or arrowroot starch
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, tomato paste, lemon juice, honey, and spices.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Cook onion, carrot, and pepper until soft. Add garlic and cook another minute. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown the ground turkey or beef. Sprinkle with tapioca starch.
- Add veggies back into the pan and then coat with the sauce from the bowl.
- Stir and reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes until thick.
- When ready, toss in the fresh spinach. It cooks in seconds.
Serve on its own, over a bed of fresh organic spinach, or on mashed sweet potatoes.