What are your plans for Memorial Day?
Wait! Before you go to your barbecues this Memorial Day, come join us!
We will be having a combined potluck BBQ and Memorial Day Murph event.
This is a FREE event and donations to the Murph Challenge Fundraiser are 100% optional.
- What is the Murph Challenge?: An annual internet based fundraiser for military charities. It’s based on a workout called “Murph”, named after Medal of Honor recipient Michael Murphy. The idea is to honor ALL of our fallen military members with a challenging workout.
- Who can participate?: Anyone! You don’t have to be a member of CrossFit Hard, nor do you have to be able to do the entire workout to participate, just do what you can. You can do the entire thing yourself, or complete it with a team (Limit 4 people/team). So bring your friends and family for what promises to be a fun day again. If you are not comfortable with these exercises, you can create your own version. What’s your “MURPH”?
- When?: Monday, May 30th 2016, 10 am – 12 pm. We will start new heats every 30 minutes: 10:00 am, 10:30 am and 11:00 am
- Where?: CrossFit Hard, 5020 Boiling Brook Parkway, North Bethesda, MD 20852
- Why?: To honor fallen military members with our pain and sweat, and to raise money for charities supporting military causes. The workout was a favorite of fallen Navy SEAL and Medal of Honor recipient Michael Murphy, and is thus called “Murph”. This workout is designed to attract a large number of participants and create a new Memorial Day tradition. Michael Murphy was an avid Crossfitter and used to do the workout now named Murph in preparation for his deployments. He did it wearing his flack vest and referred to the workout as “Body Armor”. It was renamed “Murph” after his death.
- How much? BBQ and WOD are FREE! Burgers & Hotdogs will be provided, however we do ask that everyone bring their favorite paleo side dish. Store-bought vs. homemade? No worries, all food is welcome!
- Interested in supporting the official 2016 Murph Challenge Fundraiser? Registration is $40, and includes an awesome event shirt made by FORGED clothing. All profits go to charities that support military causes. Register here.
This Event is for EVERYONE, Members and NON members.
The "MURPH" workout...
1 Mile Run
300 Air Squats
1 Mile Run
(all while wearing a 20# weight vest)
Event starts at 10am, first heat starts at 10am sharp. Sign up for heats at the gym. Although this is NOT a competition, there will be 3 divisions, RX, Scaled & Team. RX, Can do wod as it is written & complete all reps w/ no modifications. 20# weight vest recommended but not neccessary, however, those NOT wearing a weight vest cannot beat score of those who do wear them. SCALED, Can make modifications to wod, does not have to perform wod as it is written, can change amount of reps. You do not have to be able to do standard pull-ups, push-ups or air squats, can walk or run. TEAM, You & a friend share the workout. Divide reps & runs any way you want between teammates. You can RX or Scale the wod. People who are new to Crossfit (never done it before) or those who have only been doing it for less than 3 months WILL be expected to scale this workout, NO EXCEPTIONS. A scaled version will be provided.
If your plane was about to crash, who would you want sitting next to you?
"Joint circles & dynamics
Squat x 5/side
Spiderman lunge x 5/side
Inchworm push ups x 10
200m run or 500M Row
KB Deadlift x 10
MB Thruster x 10
Iron Crosses x 20/side
200m run or 500M Row"
Front Squat (7x4)
*Set 1 – 5 reps @ 65%
*Set 2 – 4 reps @ 75%
*Set 3 – 3 reps @ 80%
*Set 4 – 2 reps @ 85%
*Set 5 – 1 rep @ 90%
*Set 6 – 1 rep @ 95%
*Set 7 – 4 reps @ as heavy as possible
Rest 2 minutes between sets.
Metcon (AMRAP - Rounds and Reps)
Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 12 minutes of:
12 Back Squats (135/95 lbs – taken from the floor)
Run 200 Meters
Cut Season Cash Out
100 Ab Mat Sit ups
Out of Town WOD
3 ROUNDS FOR TIME: RUN 400M 50 SQUATS 25 PUSHUPS